Whether it is donating goods or donating time, these family-friendly ideas courtesy of Go Organically Fruit Snacks are just some of many ways you & your family can help give back to those in need this season.
Thanksgiving will be here TOMORROW! Give back as a family! For many people, the season of gratitude is a great reminder to give back to those in need—whether it be by donating to a food drive, volunteering at a soup kitchen or giving money to a favorite charity. For parents like us, Thanksgiving season offers the perfect opportunity to teach kids about the importance of giving back to one’s community. After all, kindness counts!
Make donating goods a family affair! Here’s how to get the whole crew involved:
- Food Drives: Have kids go through cupboards with you to identify canned goods & boxed items that your family can donate to your local food drive. Ask older kids to check expiration dates to ensure freshness, & give younger kids the job of sorting or placing items in boxes. Or take a trip to the grocery store together & let kids help pick out items to buy & donate. By loading items onto the grocery belt & helping to bag & deliver goods, they’ll feel like an important part of the process.
- Clothing Donations: Donating clothing is a win-win. You get to eliminate clutter & help those in need at the same time. Plus, you’re keeping items out of landfills by giving them a second life! Have kids play “fit model” by trying on clothing & seeing what no longer fits. They can also help sort, fold & bag clothing, &/or accompany you to the drop-off site.
- Toy Drives: Many organizations, such as Toys for Tots, collect new, unwrapped toys for children in need during the holiday season. To get your kids involved, take them to the toy store & have them pick out a gift that they think a little boy or girl their age might like. They’ll love getting to weigh in with a kid’s perspective!
There’s no better way for parents& kids to bond than to do some good together. Here are some of our favorite ideas for pitching in as a family:
- Visit VolunteerMatch to locate volunteer opportunities in your area. You can filter your search by “kids” to find age-appropriate activities that all family members can participate in—from park cleanups to animal rescue efforts & more.
- Check with your school, place of worship or community groups to see if they need any assistance with charitable programs. Is the PTA collecting toiletries for a local women’s shelter? Volunteer your family to design, print & distribute flyers to get the word out. Is your child’s scout troop visiting a nursing home for holiday caroling? Dress your spouse & kids in cute matching sweaters & attend as a family to belt out holiday tunes.
- Don’t wait for a formally organized effort to spread kindness or lend a hand. Pay a family visit to an elderly neighbor who may be lonely, or buy a bunch of craft supplies & sit down together to make holiday cards for the troops. Welcome the new family in town by shopping for & assembling a basket of goodies. Bonus points if you include Go Organically Organic Fruit Snacks.
Happy helping from all of us at Go Organically! Made with real fruit, our gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free kids snacks are a great choice for your on-the-go life. Be sure to follow us on Facebook for more kid-friendly ideas!